As I have watched the news coverage over the last couple of days, my heart has broken for the people of Haiti. Flesh and blood people just like us experiencing such devastation and loss...it's overwhelming. This post is not meant in any way to analyze why it has happened. Our God is sovereign and nothing happens but that which He uses to fulfill His glorious plans and purposes. And that rings true on a global, local and individual scale.
Like me, your heart is probably aching for them so you probably don't need a reminder to be interceding in prayer on their behalf...but I do remind you today. I know that we all have things going on in our own lives (I surely do). Let's remember what God said through the prophet Isaiah:
If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
Isaiah 58:9(b)-11
Verse 9(b) just hits me right through the heart. God forgive us for the times when we have had the tendency to look down on others - especially when they are down and out. It is not our place to judge why they are in that position. I would submit to you that in that moment, God is very interested in our reaction and response. Could you spend yourself today in prayer for the people of Haiti and for others? God promises you will be blessed...He just said so.
If you have been around the Bible study at all, you know that I DO NOT ask for money. And I am not asking you to donate now. I am merely going to pass along some information in case, like me, you are always concerned about whether a donation made to an organization actually makes it to the people you intended to help. I spoke with my best friend in Nashville on Wednesday and told her that I would pass this information via the blog. She and her husband are very involved with a local church plant and are close personal friends with the pastor. Prior to planting the church, the pastor's ministry was (and still is) heavily involved with on the ground missions work in Haiti. He has committed that EVERY dollar donated through his ministry will make it onto the ground in Haiti to meet the needs of the people. You can check it out at http://www.conduitmission.org/ .
You are loved.
In Christ,
Karesssa
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment